Promise SATA controller almost working...

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Feb 10 08:55:34 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 10.02.2004 schrieb Jean-Rene Cormier um 02:36:
> I'm currently working on a boot.iso for FC1 with Promise SATA support
> with the ft3xx driver. So far it finds the controller but when it tries
> to load the driver it fails and I get some unresolved symbol error such
> as: scsi_unregister, fasync_helper, kill_fasync, register_chrdev and
> scsi_register then I get the message "Hint: You are trying to load a
> modules without a GPL compatible license and it has unresolved
> symbols....."

How did you compile the driver: with module versions or without? Try it
the different way (I am sure you know where and how to modify the
Makefile of the driver package).

> In the modules.dep files I added ft3xx: sd_mod scsi_mod but it still
> doesn't work... anybody could help me with this?

"depmod -ae -F /boot/System.map" after you added a kernel module and
want to rebuild the modules.dep file.

> Also I've read on this list that the newer kernel released for FC1 had
> support for this card, is that true? If so is there a boot.iso somewhere
> with a newer kernel? Or at least anybody could tell me how I can create
> a new boot.iso with a newer kernel?

Do you really want to use the RAID driver? I tested my onboard Promise
PATA controller 20265 with both the kernel driver pdcraid.o as well with
the Promise driver FastTrak.o. With both drivers the performance was
really poor, although it was better with the Promise driver.

I decided to use the controller just for plugging the harddrives to it
and then use software raid function of Linux. Those controller chips are
no real hardware raid controller, they just have BIOS supported software
raid implementations.

> Thanks
>
> Jean-Rene Cormier

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 09:50:08 up 1 day, 12:32, load average: 1.18, 1.08, 1.06
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]