grub was gone! What happened?

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano.brunetti at fastwebnet.it
Tue Feb 10 11:08:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 10:56, John Sutherland wrote:
> Someone being funny with "fdisk /mbr" in Win? What did the machine do
> instead of loading grub?

It hangs. Black screen saying a very sad "GRUB" and nothing else. Well,
it used to - fixed now.

As already pointed out, might be f-prot that treated grub as a boot
sector virus.

fdisk /mbr seems difficult. This is *my* machine, i have no vnc
connections and nobody here is even by far able to use grub (i know it
is trivial, just highlight and push enter, but trust me: no way here ;)
). I don't believe my local admin may have done such a thing, although
he is a m$cp guy. And more, windows partition is bootable and a 'fdisk
/mbr' would have zapped grub and restored old winxp boot sequence, i
suppose.

E.