Intel releases VTune 2.0 for linux

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue Feb 10 14:42:21 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 09:22, Vincent wrote:
> http://www.intel.com/software/products/vtune/vlin/
>
> says it works on fedora for UP and SMP kernels
> "2.4.22-*.nptl (Red Hat Fedora* Core 1) (some limitations)"
>
> Anyone use this software?
> Know what they mean by "(some limitations)"?
> Has it significantly helped performance on any of your projects?
>
> I'm trying to download the Trial but it says I have to wait one business
> day for some conformation e-mail. So I'm hoping for some stories.

I've not tried the new vtune, but I evaluated an older version
about 2 years back, and the kernelside code was dreadful in parts.
It was part of the motivation for me getting oprofile[1] working
on Athlons.

The oprofile patch is already part of the SMP Fedora kernels btw.

	Dave

[1] http://oprofile.sf.net