Cable modem, router, and nic

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Feb 10 15:52:06 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:

> Hugo Perez Casanova wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> 3Com has a cable/dsl firewall router 3c857 and a wireless version. I
>> recently saw that they also provide one with a built in dsl modem.
>>
>> I've been using the first one for a while and they work transparently
>> to any Linux version.
>

> I think any of the external cable/dsl router/modems  will be seamless
> with Linux.  The ethernet side would be DHCP and the modem/router would
> handle all the connection details.

And it allows you to hook up more computers that your ISP doesn't need
to know about.  Our local cable ISP needed the MAC address for each
computer hooked up.  More than one MAC address meant more money for
the cable company.  Change network cards and you had to call support
which didn't work past 21:00.

Telco ISP also sets the DSL modem to work with only one MAC address.

Router can also provide some firewall features providing more
security.  Some are wireless and can aslo be used as a hub to connect
other computers.

--
Robin Laing