Problem with /etc/init.d/

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Tue Feb 10 17:47:15 UTC 2004

Jean-Charles COLLIN wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I encountered a nice problem today concerning a customized script that I
> want to start and shutdown automatically. This script is chkconfig
> compliant (on : 2345 off:016) but I could not see the shutdown line
> (example : Shutdown Server IPBX    [OK])
>
> I solved the problem with creating a /var/lock/subsys/<servername> file,
> which refers to /etc/init.d/<servername>
>
> Does someone have already been in front of this kind of thing ?

I'm not sure what your problem is, but /var/lock/subsys/<servername> is
supposed to be a zero-length lock file indicating that the server in
question is running that's created or deleted by
/etc/init.d/<servername>, not a link to it.

If you aren't seeing the [OK] messages, are you using the 'success' and
'failure' functions defined in /etc/init.d/functions? (See
/etc/init.d/nscd for a relatively simple script that uses these correctly.)

You mention that the script is chkconfig compliant, but did you run
'chkconfig -add servername' for it yet?
What does 'chkconfig --list servername' say?