Upgraded kernel - much confusion!

Will Clifton wgcabp at cox.net
Tue Feb 10 18:32:19 UTC 2004

Hello,

Apologies in advance, much of this is newbie stuff, but if anyone out
there has a couple of minutes...

1. Upgraded kernel to 2.6.2-1.160 via Arjanv's ftp site and the Jorge
Gallegos tutorial on FedoraNews. In other words, I didn't get my hands
too dirty, most of the work was installing RPMs. (I upgraded in hopes
that the new kernel would have better support for my WinTV-PVR-250,
otherwise I would not have attempted this as it is way above my head...)

2. Kudzu keeps wanting to reconfigure my eth0 (Natsemi->Netgear FA311)
everytime I reboot. I don't understand why, when I run ifconfig it's
already there and configured. How do I get rid of this? Also, on my
first boot of 2.6 I had an eth1 line in modprobe.conf. I deleted it
because I only have one NIC, why was the eth1 entry there and should I
have not deleted it?

3. Prior to updating, I had a SCSI cdrom that I replaced with an IDE,
pulled the SCSI card and in kernal 2.4 it was working fine. Now that
native IDE cdrom is supported in 2.6, how do I tell my system where it
is and how to find it? In other words, I think the system still wants
SCSI->IDE emulation as per prior kernels. It does get recognized as hdc
on boot, but it is not working. Any advice here would be appreciated.

4. I read that I'm supposed to install the ALSA drivers for 2.6, so I
installed all of the ALSA RPMs from freshrpms and now of course my
soundcard (es1371) doesn't work. I'll keep reading about this but if
anyone has any pointers I'd sure appreciate it.

5. Numerous other annoyances, like Gkrellm doesn't run now (just a for
instance, there's many other things) but these are not terribly
important.

I understand that all of this information could be found in the archives
or an FAQ or somewhere, but I'm confused enough that I need someone to
lead me by the hand. Please tell me what resources you need me to
provide and I'll post them. Thank you in advance for any help.

Will Clifton