Could there be changes to the way that fedora is distributed?

David.Grudek at anixter.com David.Grudek at anixter.com
Tue Feb 10 20:59:09 UTC 2004

I have been thinking that there would be some good thought to changing the
fedora is distributed to more like debian is.  And before anyone slams me
in this mail list, please read all the way threw.  This is not to slam
fedora so please don't take this way.  We all agree that this is sponsored
by red hat and the new tools that they test here eventually will make it
into there enterprise version.  In order to add it in like that red hat
would want it tested thoroughly.  What if fedora went to having a three
system version like debian linux has.  They have a stable version that
would not change that often except for security fixes and such.  So small
companies that want to run fedora that can't afford to run red hat
enterprise would not need to do all the upgrades that are necessary with
the current fast release schedule that fedora is supposed to have.  Then
have a version called testing that is software that has been somewhat
tested and pretty stable that only changes by package name not version
number so in reality you are really doing minor upgrades forever as
testing proceeds then you will update if you choose to do so.  Then they
have an unstable which is to the day, bleeding edge software and once it
has proved it's self here it would be upgraded to testing and then to
stable which then could be added to Red Hat enterprise version.

There are a lot of companies that are too small to buy a license from
redhat for the enterprise and love and have been used to the redhat
systems for years now.  Since redhat is moving the development of this to
people and lowering their costs.  They would still be getting all of the
testing from the people.  The people that want formal support from redhat
are going to use the enterprise version anyway.  The small guys will be
able to gain something from it to without all the upgrades all the time.

Just my 2 cents.