Figuring out redhat-config-httpd

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Feb 10 22:49:02 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> Hello, everyone:
>
> Since my work still requires to use Windows, I am trying to use Fedora
> to edit my website so I get some more exposure to it on the desktop
> rather than just as a remote server. The purpose here is to set up a
> self-contained environment where Apache, MySQL, etc. are all running
> locally such that I can edit the site and actively test it without
> having to be on the network.
>
> Although I can configure httpd.conf by hand, I am deliberately
> sticking with the redhat-config-httpd tool so that I can test it and
> provide feedback. Having said that, this is the procedure I have
> followed with no joy so far; I would appreciate any comments or
> suggestions as to what I may have done wrong:
>
>         1. Set up Apache to listen only on 127.0.0.1 port 80.
> (Possible bug: display shows "127.0.0.180" instead of "127.0.0.1:80",
> but httpd.conf is correctly written).

How did you verify it was correctly written?   Did you restart httpd
after modifying the file so the server was using the new config data?

>         2. Set up a line saying "127.0.0.1   simpaticus.localdomain
> simpaticus" in /etc/hosts.

someone else said you must use the default  "127.0.0.1
localhost.localdomain   localhost"   in this location.
They are correct but you can modify the line to read
" 127.0.0.1  localhost.localdomain   localhost
simpaticus.localdomain   simpaticus"
Then it will still see the localhost entry as well as the simpaticus
entry and simpaticus will be resolved to the loopback address..

>         3. Verified that /etc/host.conf says "order hosts, dns" and
> verified that there is no DNS server running on this machine.

On my install (and historically on all Linux versions I have used) the
host.conf file contains " order hosts,bind "
Don't know that this is the issue and others have commented on different
parts of this message, but if this is not correct the machine cannot use
DNS at all.