Halt not working

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Feb 11 00:12:40 UTC 2004

Joseph Rice wrote:

>I do have had the same problem.  I use init 0 instead of halt.  you can just set up an alias for halt
>alias halt='init 0'

I have historically had one or more machines that failed to power off
when I used the shutdown command.
halt, shutdown, and poweroff all had the same behavior.  Using "init 0"
had the same results.

After reading this thread I added the "apic=yes" option to the grub.conf
file (default is apparently apic=no) and now they work perfectly. They
all shutdown and power off as expected, with no hangs or messages
waiting for the user to turn it off.