Booting from RAID

jason pearl jason at jpearl.org
Wed Feb 11 05:36:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:53:00 -0300
"Kevork" <rxlm at comintec.com.ar> wrote:

|> Hi,
|>
|> Could some one please give me some help about how's the better way to boot
|> from raid ?.
|>
|> I think hardware raid is better when  trying to keep booting from raid, is
|> this correct ?.
|>
|> I have an Intel mother board, that have some raid function when using SATA,
|> but I read on other post that it is not entirely hardware, but even so,
|> won't be this better than software raid when booting from raid is expected
|> ?.
|>
|> The idea is to use raid 1, such way to get system running, or even to boot
|> it, when some partition or entire disk fails ... would it be possible ?.
|>
|> Thanks a lot,
|> Kevork.
|>

|> --

i boot with software raid 5 because i cant get highpoint drivers to work.
i did it like this....

1 drive is 256 meg and it holds my /boot and thats it....
then i have 4 drives that are set as raid 5 which is /  .. md0
my system boots up fine..

it would not boot ever... if the /boot was on the same drives as the raid
--
jason pearl <jason at jpearl.org>