Mangled bootloader. ANy ideas on how to fix it?

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano.brunetti at fastwebnet.it
Wed Feb 11 08:34:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 21:48, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I narrowed down my booting problems (Upgraded to FC1, but still only shows
> RedHat logo and kernel menu upon reboot) as a botched bootloader problem.
> How can I:
>
> 1. Install a kernel and tell it
> 2. Make it the default for grub, and then make it so that on reboot,
> that kernel and OS menu comes up instead of Redhat 9?

If you update a kernel via yum or even 'rpm -ivh kernelname' grub should
be automatically updated. No need to do anything more.

However, i didn't quite get what the problem is - maybe i lost previous
posts, sorry. Looks like you can't boot. Did you try a 'linux rescue'
mode? You can go into rescue mode with FC1 #1 cd (type linux rescue at
boot) with network support, then you chroot to your old / (mounted
somewhere else in rescue mode, don't remember exactly), run a 'yum
instal kernelname' or simply rpminstall a kernel you already downloaded.
Have a look at /boot/grub/grub.conf to see if everything is ok and then
run 'grub-install /dev/hd??' where hd?? is your boot drive (sd?? if you
run a scsi only box).

This should fix everything, if your problem is actually related to
kernel and botched bootloader.

HTH

E.