up2date oddity this morning

Chiu, PCM (Peter) P.C.M.Chiu at rl.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 11:28:39 UTC 2004

Our system froze up this morning and was recovered with a reboot.

Having checked the system logs, we suspect that it is relating to the
automatic up2date job that took place this morning.

The log /var/log/up2date recorded the update events on gdm-2.4.4.5-1.2, and
on kernel 2.4.22-1.2166, doc, smp and source. No errors were recorded.

The kernel-2.4.22-1.2166nptl entry is added in grub.conf, but not the
corresponding smp kernel.

I have also found no /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2166.ntplsmp.img, so tried to
create one with mkinitrd -v initrd-2.4.22-1.2166.ntplsmp.img
2.4.22-1.2166.ntplsmp,
added in an appropriate entry in grub.conf, but the system failed to boot
off this kernel with a AIC-xxxx version mismatch error.

Eventually, by forcing a second rpm installation on the 2166 smp kernel, the
system seems to work okay.

What I can deduce from this is either there is some hardware problem on
our local PC - but with no errors recorded in /var/log/messages, or some
oddity on up2date that failed to produce a working smp kernel, but also
without
reported any errors.

Peter