Booting from RAID

Jay Turner jkt at redhat.com
Wed Feb 11 13:07:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 12:53:00AM -0300, Kevork wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could some one please give me some help about how's the better way to boot
> from raid ?.
>
> I think hardware raid is better when  trying to keep booting from raid, is
> this correct ?.
>
> I have an Intel mother board, that have some raid function when using SATA,
> but I read on other post that it is not entirely hardware, but even so,
> won't be this better than software raid when booting from raid is expected
> ?.
>
> The idea is to use raid 1, such way to get system running, or even to boot
> it, when some partition or entire disk fails ... would it be possible ?.

You can RAID1 (mirror) your /boot partition via software RAID and all will
be just fine.  Should one of the two mirrors die, you will always be able
to boot from the other one.  The rest of your partitions can be at whatever
RAID level you would like.

As for hardware versus software RAID, we have both here in the test lab and
I flip-flop back and forth depending on the hardware RAID adapter.  Some
have really good performance, some have really crappy performance.  One
really nice advantage to the software RAID solution is that the community
is able to fix any issues which arise, as opposed to having to stay in sync
with some vendors firmware updates.

- jkt

--
Jay Turner, QA Technical Lead      jkt at redhat.com             Red Hat, Inc.

        Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
                                                   - Albert Einstein