a lot of problems can be traced to

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Wed Feb 11 13:35:49 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Mi, den 11.02.2004 schrieb Chadley Wilson um 08:12:

>>>If that is the case, then you need a new burner. Properly operating
>>>hardware will not do that.
>>>

>>Maybe this is a bug I have just installed a brand new 52x writer and if
>>I cut @ anything over 16x my discs fail,
>>I swopped the writer three times and the same thing happens, I have
>>since changed the brand twice and I get the same results on 4 different
>>systems ranging from my first PC a p3 900 256mb ram
>>to my new P4 3gig with 1 gig ram. The funny thing is its no linux
>>because Windoze also does this
>>
>>If you say the hardware is not operating properly then there must be a
>>manufacturing flaw in all these device, which is not impossible.
>>I will let the manufacturers know (Mitsumi, LG , MSi)
>>
>>My 2 cents
>>Chadley
>>

>I am sure this is a problem with the CD-R media. Not each CD burner
>likes each CD-R media, even not at any speed. You should always follow
>manufacturer advices for tested media and use firmware updates as they
>insert new calibration data for burner and media.
>
>Alexander

Right, not all media is made to burn at 16x.  A lot of the cheap media
is only something like 4x burn rate.  Read the packaging or contact the
store or look on the manufacturer's Web site to find out what it should
be for the media that you have.  Don't be so quick to point the finger
at the operating system, burner code or burner hardware.

Now, that said, the local bulk shrink-wrap CD's are 24x burn rate.

Mike