Flash, sound and SMB

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 11 15:34:02 UTC 2004

A friend sent me a URL to an unbelievably funny site but when I visited
later yesterday, it wasn't nearly as funny because the sound had
disappeared.  This morning, I discovered the immediate cause but haven't
a clue about why ONLY the flash player's sound was affected. (Mail
notification sound worked and I watched a few minutes of a DVD
("Chicago") using XINE and sound was normal.)

It turned out that I had shut off a Win98 box on my humble network
without first unmounting its Samba shares.  The clue came when an lsof
command hung.  With the shares unmounted, lsof worked and flash sound
worked again.  The URL in question is
http://www.infonegocio.com/xeron/bruno/italy.html .
My system:
FC1
 [rj at mavis rj]$ uname -a
Linux mavis 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl #1 Wed Jan 7 12:57:33 EST 2004 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux

Asus A7N8X Deluxe m/b with onboard NICs disabled.  Using instead
[root at mavis root]# lspci -v | grep Intel
02:04.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
(rev 05)
        Subsystem: Intel Corp. EtherExpress PRO/100+ Dual Port Adapter
02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100]
(rev 05)
        Subsystem: Intel Corp. EtherExpress PRO/100+ Dual Port Adapter
[rj at mavis rj]$ uname -a
Linux mavis 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl #1 Wed Jan 7 12:57:33 EST 2004 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[root at mavis root]# cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto
noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/hdb2               /mnt/hdb                ext3    noauto,users,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
//clem/c                /mnt/clemc              smbfs
noauto,users,credentials=/home/rj/credentials,umask=000
//clem/a                /mnt/clema              smbfs
noauto,users,credentials=/home/rj/credentials,umask=000
[root at mavis root]#

Everything else is pretty much "vanilla".

I added the "noauto" to the last 2 lines above just a few minutes ago,
but that certainly won't prevent a recurrence of the problem.  Perhaps
someone will come up with a short script to automagically issue a couple
of umount commands when the LAN link goes down.

--
Keep on keepin' on.

 09:00:00  up 12 days, 22:00,  7 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.12, 0.09
     One billion seconds ago it was 08:13:20 CDT Sun 06/04/72