Compiling ALL the SRPMs

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Wed Feb 11 16:41:56 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 11:41 -0500, Met @ Uber wrote:
> I had a stupid revelation the other day.  Its common fact that if I
> compile all the programs for my systems architecture it will run
> faster.  Many RPMs are compiled for NOARCH, and at the very least not
> i686.  But I love the ease of RPMs because they're easy to track whats
> on the system.  So my question is this.

If you install glibc i686 then most of your programs will be running a
lot of i686 optimized code, even if compiled on normal i386
optimizations, because they usually use most of their functionality
derived from glibc'shared libraries.

The same applies to everything else, so the speed bump should not be
very significant (although perhaps noticeable, I don't know).

However, noarch rpms are usually TEXT scripts that are interpreted by
some program (perl, python, shell, whatever) and will result in no
optimization whatsoever if compiled for i686 (if they even accept to
build).

Rui

+ So let's do it...?