RedHat, Fedora future?

Mike Lurk mike.lurk at sympatico.ca
Wed Feb 11 17:10:18 UTC 2004

Mike Lurk wrote:
> Bob Marcan wrote:
>
>>Adam Cooper wrote:
>>

> Robin Laing
>
> All a guide is just that, a guide, by default anything installed by
the
> os is installed into the /usr/lib but anything installed by third
party
> companies, lets say mozilla, are installed into, depending how you are
> installing it, preferably installing it as root, you could conceivably
> install it anywhere you want.  But if you install it as a user, the
only
> place where you could install it is in the /home/user_name directory.
So
> by token when you install an app switch to the root account and
install
> it where you want, not just the defaults, the app will give an option
> where you would like it installed, just to keep with standards . Then
> make a link to the location, in /usr/bin to location of the app. Just
as
> with the original. A lot of work but it is worth it, if you want to
keep
> with standards.
>
> I am ranting, sorry.

Ranting is allowed. :)

As this issue is being discussed on the FHS list, some interesting
issues have arrisen.  Remember, I am looking at this issue from
comparing between distributions and ease of trouble shooting
application problems.

It is easy to look at one distro but when you want to share
/home/<user> across distros, the problem of configuration files and
sym-links in the <users> directory become a problem.  I look at Open
Office and Mozilla as two applications.  One person on the FHS list
brought up the issue of Wine as well.

I also look at the problems that I have run into in regards to this
problem where someone installs an update or later version that isn't
using an RPM that uses a different directory.  This can and has caused
problems for me in the past.  The number of times I have had to search
and edit some configuration files for some link to the wrong directory.

I feel the easiest way to deal with different distros is to create
sym-links to the default locations that the application installs from
the maintainers site.

This will be an issue for many home users as Linux usage grows and
could be a roadblock to growth and support from hardware/software
suppliers.   At least this is my opinion.

I now know what to look for and I have a way to fix the problem.  I
hope the standards become clearer to lesson this problem.

--
Robin Laing

That is why the head of Read Hat in his statement said that Linux is not
ready for the home user. Because of all the inconsistencies of
installing software. You have to be knowledgeable in the workings of
Linux. The average home user will just give up at the first sign of
problems and go back to windows because one click and the software or
game is installed in a central location, ie: Program Files folder and is
easy to uninstall in ADD REMOVE PRGRAMS in the Control Panel. As you can
tell I was a long time Windoze user. Until such time as Linux can
produce the same type of features as Windoze, Linux will not be in the
same market as Windoze.

In my mind Linux is far superior to that of Windoze because of it's
stability and at this point, no need for an Anti Virus app. Just make
sure you watch out for trojan's.

More ranting :)

Mike