Upgraded kernel - much confusion!

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 11 18:25:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 12:54, Will Clifton wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Thank you VERY much for taking the time for such an informative reply
> for a newbie!
>
> On Wed, 2004-02-11 at 05:56, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> > (I upgraded in hopes
> > > that the new kernel would have better support for my WinTV-PVR-250,
> > > otherwise I would not have attempted this as it is way above my head...)
> >
> > Don't know about this, my TV card is in a 2.4.x box.  If it's BT848
> > based it should work.  Check out freevo or mythtv.
>
> I ended up installing a custom kernel (back to 2.4.x) that has support
> for my TV card. The new WinTV-PVRs no longer use a bttv chip, it's
> connextant instead and there's not much linux support yet. I am in the
> middle of configuring mythtv, so far nothing but snow on the screen but
> I'm working on it.

Will,

You're welcome.

I gave a quick look at the 2.6 kernel and there seems to be support for
some Conexant chipsets the config item is VIDEO_CX88.  Help says:

          This is a video4linux driver for Conexant 2388x based
          TV cards.

          To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
          module will be called cx8800

Good Luck.

Bob...