Black Screen in text-mode consoles (Dell Inspiron 2650)

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Feb 11 21:04:08 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 11.02.2004 schrieb Sandro Alves de Souza um 20:52:

> | > Running Redhat 9 you should better place that question on the Shrike
> | > list.
>
> Yes, I'm sorry, you're right.
>
> | > Anyway it would be helpful to know which graphics card your notebook has
> | > and which XFree drivers you are using.
>
> Ok, the video card reported is nVidia Geforce 2 Go (NV11 [Geforce 2 Gp]).
> The monitor is a Dell 1024x768 Laptop Display Panel
> The X-Server is 4.3.0-2.

So you use the XFree NVidia driver - nv in XF86Config - and not the
NVidia.com driver - nvidia in XF86Config?

> | > Sounds like a known problem with using NVidia drivers and framebuffer.
>
> I didn't know about this problem. May you tell about it?

It is a problem if using the NVidia.com driver and rivafb. If you google
for this you will find some hits. I know this myself only from reports
and not by own experience.

> | > Alexander
>
> Thank you very much.

You are welcome.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 22:01:02 up 3 days, 43 users, load average: 1.89, 1.37,
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]