restarting xinetd

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Wed Feb 11 21:28:52 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, Feb 11th 2004 at 13:11 -0800, quoth don:

=>I added a new "service definition" to /etc/xinetd.d directory and now I
=>want to restart xinetd so the new definition is picked up.
=>
=>How can I tell if xinetd actually restarted?
=>I use su - to get to root, then kill -s SIGHUP <pid>
=>where <pid> is the pid for xinetd as returned by ps -A|grep inet
=>
=>I was expecting some messages like "xinetd shutting down/restarting", but
=>the kill command just ends and I'm back at a command prompt.
=>
=>Then I thought maybe it does it "quietly", but the pid number never
=>changed.... maybe it just re-reades the config file without saying
=>anything...
=>
=>So, then I tried to connect to my new service, and the connection was
=>refused (I have iptables off) ... so that means 1 or a couple of things:
=>- xinetd did not restart as I expected
=>- xinetd restarted but my new config is incorrect
=>
=>Any suggestions as to where I can find more information? I've read "man
=>xinetd" and "man xinetd.conf"...

As others have already noted, you can just say
service xinted reload
to send a SIGHUP to the daemon. Look at the syslog (/var/log/messages) to
see what xinetd is thinking.

I assume that your service has a stand-alone mode and an inetd mode and
that it already works in SA mode.

Also, I can't recommend this enough, you really should read Unix Network
Programming and/or Programming in the Unix Environment both by the late
great W. Rich Stevens (Addison Wesley). Just magnificent books.

steveo at syslang.net