restarting xinetd

Peter Eddy petere at atg.com
Wed Feb 11 21:29:31 UTC 2004

don wrote:
> I added a new "service definition" to /etc/xinetd.d directory and now I
> want to restart xinetd so the new definition is picked up.
>
> How can I tell if xinetd actually restarted?
> I use su - to get to root, then kill -s SIGHUP <pid>
> where <pid> is the pid for xinetd as returned by ps -A|grep inet

The "right" way to do this on RedHat/Fedora is with the service command
that others have pointed out. But if you want/need to use kill -HUP for
some reason, you can generally tail -f /var/log/messages, many daemons
will spit out something there about being restarted.

I've noticed that some services restarted with "service" say they've
restarted, but if there are errrors in the configuration file they
really won't have, I think autofs is one of these processes, maybe nfsd
too. They'll generally have some error information in the messages log.

Also, "service xxxx restart" stops and starts the service where -HUP
just usually just causes the daemon to re-read the configuration file. I
can't recall an instance where this mattered to me, but I can imagine
circumstancs where it might make a difference. And of course, not all
daemons are run via xinetd.

Peter