PDF with password protection

Darrin Auxier dsalinux at cox.net
Thu Feb 12 01:18:44 UTC 2004

I solved my own problem, but thought I would post the resolution since I
didn't find anything in the archives about it.
(though I am still curious about the fact that my version of gpdf is
listed as 0.110 but when I go to the gnome software map the highest
version is 0.105)

I'm using gpdf.  It works opening "normal" PDF files, but when I try to
open a password-protected PDF from my bank,
I get this error message :

"The PDF file is encrypted and requires a password.  This progam does
not support password-protected files"

So I tried downloading the Linux version of acroread from adobe, but
that one gives me errors opening any PDF (password or not) :
Warning: charset "UTF-8" not supported, using "ISO8859-1".
Aborted

Finally, I read that gpdf is based on xpdf, so I tried installing Xpdf
from http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/download.html and it worked.