Apache 2 Weirdness

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Thu Feb 12 11:18:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 10:25:39PM -0800, Aaron Matteson wrote:
> So about 40 ppl access this server, and everything was cool for about
> a week since it was installed, cept today we had load avg's of 1 -
> 2.5, and httpd processes (the ps shows about 13 of them) had about 15
> megs of RAM usage each, and about 30-50% process usage as well.. up to
> 4 active at the same time with this usage.

For the process ID of one of these processes using lots of CPU time,
run:

 # strace -p <pid>

as root to see what it is doing.  Also you can try enabling the
/server-status/ page in httpd.conf, then load that and see if there are
particular requests which cause the httpd children to use lots of CPU.

Regads,

joe