network / PCMCIA

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Feb 12 20:27:26 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 12.02.2004 schrieb Mike Westkamper um 19:36:
> I installed FC1 on an older laptop. Took some doing but finally made it
> work. I had one remaining problem; the network parts tried to initialize but
> the PCMCIA part had not initialized so it wouldn't bring up eth0. I could do
> so manually after boot time. I tried to make it automatic on boot by
> swapping S10network and S24pcmcia in rc5.d
>
> Obviously that was not the thing to do since now the PCMCIA NIC is not
> found. Everything else works.
>
> I obviously don't know enough about what I am doing and could use some help.
> First, I now know those references are links not files and my moving things
> about has changed things in unanticipated ways. Here are my two requests...
>
> How do I restore the init stuff to its original form?
> What would the be the "proper" method to get the PCMCIA NIC and the network
> initialization to work so as to automate the connection on startup?
>
> Any help is sincerely appreciated.
>
> Mike

For principle understand on how the runlevels are proper configured have
a look at "chkconfig". Also take one init script for an example, like
"head -8 /etc/init.d/network" and watch out for the header lines,
especially "chkconfig:"

To reconfigure start and stop hooks edit the init script chkconfig: line
and run chkconfig with the proper parameters.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 21:22:48 up 4 days, 5 users, load average: 0.52, 0.36,
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]