FC2 test 1

Chris A Czerwinski chrisczerwinski at cogeco.ca
Thu Feb 12 20:57:53 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 15:22, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > There's two conflicting schools of thought here:
> >
> > 1) get Extras going, move chunks of Core to Extras, and have
> >    Core be 2-3 binary CDs
> > 2) get Extras going, but put even more stuff in Core, have Core
> >   go to 5,6,7 CDs
> >
> > Personally, I'd go for door #1
>
> If only there was a set of guidelines..a Fedora Core Code...
> outlining a set of technical/non-technical
> milestones/checklist/objectives/priorities that packages should try to
> meet as part of being nominated for inclusion in Core. And conversely
> the same guidelines would be useful to nominate packages to be removed
> from Core that are found to be...lacking. Guidelines/checklist would
> make it easier for 'rational' people in the community to nominate a
> specific piece of software out of a myriad of project options that sort
> of do the same thing. Having people try to do this based solely on
> personal opinion about what works best, package by package...is a train
> wreck.
>
> And it's not just a matter of fighting over the package options among a
> set of alternatives that do similar things. The 2 or 3 binary CD limit
> also makes it hard to even have one good package included to do all
> possible things. A better description of the type of role(s) Fedora Core
> by itself is suppose to fill, would also make it easier to make
> 'rational' package inclusion/exclusion nominations.  Can you really fit
> a general purpose 'desktop' and general purpose 'server' distro into 2
> cds...without making significant compromises in one or the other moving
> forward? Or is Fedora the "jack of all trades, master of none"
> distribution.
>
> -jef"proud to be a jack"spaleta

I then take it, that this will mean that everything that comes with it
will work and thus become the BASE from which if I need to install ?.rpm, then
the upgrades will work rather then trying it figure out why isn't it
working or why didn't the RPM include the dependencies because I didn't
include such-and-such and then complain that the repositories are not in
sync with my partial install because of the creep effect.

Yes, I think I like Door 2 because it (all 5-6-7..CDs) were made to work
and synchronized. These packages and options will work as there will not
be any short sightedness in dependencies for the people who will be
downloading for the first time. Yes, NO SURPRISES, and lessen the
complaints on this list to more meaningful queries.

Newbie Chris Cz
(thinking of the other people who need to catch up before running)