Mozilla keeps crashing

Bob Arendt rda at rincon.com
Thu Feb 12 21:17:37 UTC 2004

azoele at katamail.com wrote:
> Hi straced it (strace /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird), for stracing thunderbird-bin fails complaining libjmoz.so is not to be found.
>
> But news to me is that:
> as user, Mozilla/Thunderbird/... crashes
> as root, works.
>
> Especially Thunderbird lets me, as a user, set up a email account, and then, as soon as I click "Ok" dies.
> And won't start anymore.
> Remove .thunderbird dir, same steps, cnfigure email address, and the dies again...
>
 >  <.. snip ..>
I didn't see anything signiificant in the strace (that I understood...)

If this is installed under /opt, perhaps there are libraries that it
can't load.  See if

ldd /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird

shows any missing libraries.  If so, locate them (perhaps by doing an
ldd as root?) and add the directories to /etc/ld.so.conf (and then "ldconfig"),
or add them to a LD_LIBRARY_PATH  environment var.

Hope this helps,  -Bob Arendt