gdm fonts are unreadably small

dkrml dkrml at dkrcomputing.com
Thu Feb 12 21:27:20 UTC 2004

I just completed installing Fedora Core 1. When the system comes up
in runlevel 5 the gdm graphical greeter screen is displayed. However,
the fonts displayed (for username/password prompts, etc.) are
extremely small and cannot be read. I logged in as root and ran
gdmconfig and changed the local greeter to the standard greeter and
the fonts are normal and readable. Howeverm the font problem remains
when I change back to the graphical greeter.

I have tried each of the graphical greeter themes (Bluecurve,
circles, Happy Gnome) but nothing seems to matter. I also tried to
find where the font size is specified in gdm.conf but found nothing.

My X display is running in 16-bit mode at 1024x768 resolution. I have also
used redhat-config-xfree86 when logged into the X console as root to
change the resolution and bit depth to no avail. When I run redhat-
config-xfree86 from a text window then I am unable to use it because
the fonts are too small.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Keith Rice, CISSP, RHCE