"cdrecord" fails consistently with scsi errors

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Fri Feb 13 13:27:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

> I haven't done this yet, so this is only a guess, but 'cdrecord
> dev=HELP:' indicates for an ATAPI: prefix that an appropriate target
> syntax is ATAPI:bus,target,lun and it also says "Open via UNIX device:
> not supported".  Perhaps that man page is just outdated since your use
> of /dev/hdb partially worked. But given your -scanbus output perhaps
> using dev=ATAPI:0,1,0 would work better?

i tried this, with no more success.  at this point, i have to give
up and pack up the system to go for a drive, but the latest test
was spectacularly unsuccessful -- numerous "packet error" messages,
along with some *very* unpleasant noises from the drive that i've
never heard before.

i'm starting to suspect the poor drive is just plain history.

rday