What's wrong with the up2date???

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Feb 13 21:13:23 UTC 2004

Am Fr, den 13.02.2004 schrieb M.Hockings um 19:13:

[ snip ]

> Good article Alexander.

Thank you. I hope it is helpful.

> I have a question.  I have a local mirror that I create by rsync'ing
> with a mirror.  This works very well to keep the 4 or 5 FC1 machines
> here updated.  I notice that occasionally I seem to pick up a corrupt
> file from the mirror and I have to delete the rpm and re-rsync with
> another mirror to pick up a good version.  My question is this, do
> mirrors self-correct in that they detect a difference in the file and
> pull down the correct version on their next sync or is it a user's
> responsibility to report it to the mirror's operator?
>
> In my case the kernel source for the 2166 kernal was only 5M (should be
> around 40M) from zeniiia in the UK.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Mike

Mike, rsync does the job, it synchronizes on a bit basis. The file you
got with wrong size may be/have been broken on the mirror server as
actually the Redhat main server is under heavy load. this way even the
mirrors sometimes get not valid files. Just be a little patient. :)

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl
Sirendipity 22:09:43 up 5 days, 52 users, load average: 1.00, 1.10,
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]