UK Updates

Roger Beever roger2 at rogernet.net
Sat Feb 14 13:32:13 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 13:08, Ted wrote:
> On Saturday 14 February 2004 11:51 am, Roger Beever wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 11:35, Ted wrote:
> > > I am having problems upgrading using the redhat US address...Anyone know
> > > if there is a faster service in the UK ??
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > >   Ted Wager
> > >     Linux user
> >
> > Hi go to fedoranews.org and look for the speed up yum how-to.
> > there is a list of mirror servers including a few in the UK
> > I picked trhe first one and it seems OK.
> > Although I did wonder the first night when it slowed to modem pace but
> > it was the night the FC2 test was released.
> > after that I have been hitting the official max speed for my adsl.
> > Just take you time makeing the changes it took me 3 goes to get it
> > right.
> > Regards Roger
> Hi Roger
>   Thanks for the reply...I have tried many times to setup the yum.conf to the
> zeniia site but it seems to update as a user but as root does not find the
> site...Is this a little odd ?
> --
> Regards
>   Ted Wager
>     Using Libranet Linux
All I can say is that's not what I found.
I did the up2dateing from KDE, waited for the icon to go red and clicked
it etc.
I was asked for my root password and away it went.
As I said it took me a few goes to get to lines in the 2 files correct.
pasted below are the lines I ended up with.
these  two from /etc/yum.conf

baseurl=http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/$release
rver/$basearch

baseurl=http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/
$releaseserver/basearch

these  two from /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources

yum fedora-core-1
http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/1/i
386/os

yum updates-released
http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/
updates/1/i386

The lines have wrapped a bit funny but it should Make sense.
The ogigionals I left in but #ed the out.
May be some other kind person can comment on your root problem.
Regards Roger