Hello...

leam leam at reuel.net
Sat Feb 14 18:36:58 UTC 2004

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> Should I post the init script here?  Or is there a better place for that
> sort of thing?
>
> As a footnote, the mysql/php thing kind of sucks but that's the price
> you pay for integration. :)  I'm looking at rebuilding xfree 4.3.0 from
> source for the second time in two days on my gentoo laptop (security
> updates), though it handles the mysql/php problem quite nicely -- as
> long as you've got hardware that handles lots of compiler time well. :)
>
> Gentoo is a very interesting experiment in this arena but I think people
> in general prefer convenience to ultimate flexibility (especially when
> it costs in terms of convenience).  I'm still on the fence on that point...
>
> Marty

I'm working on some php in another window and need the e-mail for a mind
break.  :)

Probably posting here would get a critical review and hash out any
issues. Then maybe post it to bugzilla? I must confess to being a
mediocre coder at best and seldom have answers; just issues.   :)

I sat on the fence but then my butt started to hurt. My question was
RHEL or Fedora, and I've resolved it by looking at where I spend my
time. Or rather where I *want* to spend my time. A friend asked me to
help sysadmin some customers as side work. For a company I recommend
RHEL, and I have that as my desktop so I can build solutions i know work
on client's machines. My decision was less based on cost (businesses can
pay a few $$ to RHAT) or performance (small businesses can buy faster
machines cheaper than they can pay me to debug a bleeding edge problem)
than just realizing I like to spend what few brain cells I have making
production machines more boringly stable and recoverable. Others can
kernel code to their hearts content; it's not my strength and once I
quit trying to pretend it was I found life more enjoyable.

So for you the question is the same; do you like to recompile Gentoo
every few days or are you actually trying to get something else done?

ciao!

leam
   --waxing philosophic because it's too cold to do the car