yum/python issues...

Scott Fones boson245 at msn.com
Sun Feb 15 00:34:37 UTC 2004

I've been using yum for some time now without  any issues.  Recently, it
gives me the following message when trying to run any yum commands.

bash: /usr/bin/yum: /usr/bin/python2.2: bad interpreter: No such file or
directory

So, I assumed maybe my version of python was out of date?  I downloaded both
versions 2.3 and 2.2 as soucre, compiled and installed.  Neither solved the
problem.  I've also looked, and the file /usr/bin/python2.2 is there!  Does
anyone know what its complaining about?  I'm pretty sure that I must be
doing something wrong as I've tried to use up2date as well and it gives the
following.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 29, in ?
    from up2date_client import up2date
  File "up2date.py", line 36, in ?
  File "depSolver.py", line 4, in ?
  File "packageList.py", line 17, in ?
  File "up2dateComps.py", line 7, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rhpl/comps.py", line 5, in ?
    import libxml2
ImportError: No module named libxml2

Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time,