yum/python issues...

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Feb 15 01:15:44 UTC 2004

Am So, den 15.02.2004 schrieb Scott Fones um 01:34:
> I've been using yum for some time now without  any issues.  Recently, it
> gives me the following message when trying to run any yum commands.
>
> bash: /usr/bin/yum: /usr/bin/python2.2: bad interpreter: No such file or
> directory

This would indicate that you have no python 2.2.3 installed on your
system. Would be curious as yum has a dependency on python.

> So, I assumed maybe my version of python was out of date?  I downloaded both
> versions 2.3 and 2.2 as soucre, compiled and installed.  Neither solved the
> problem.  I've also looked, and the file /usr/bin/python2.2 is there!  Does
> anyone know what its complaining about?  I'm pretty sure that I must be
> doing something wrong as I've tried to use up2date as well and it gives the
> following.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/sbin/up2date", line 29, in ?
>     from up2date_client import up2date
>   File "up2date.py", line 36, in ?
>   File "depSolver.py", line 4, in ?
>   File "packageList.py", line 17, in ?
>   File "up2dateComps.py", line 7, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/rhpl/comps.py", line 5, in ?
>     import libxml2

/usr/lib/python2.3 -> ouch! yum and up2date are critical for the python
version they are compiled against. In some way you made bad things.

I do not know what to suggest. You might think over uninstalling all
python packages, but I think this will not work as rpm requires python
(IMHO). Hard to say what's best. At least check which packages ship with
Fedora Core 1, check which of those you have installed and which you
installed are not part of FC1. Uninstall those python packages.

> ImportError: No module named libxml2
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks ahead of time,
> Scott

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2166.nptl
Sirendipity 02:08:44 up 5:47, 8 users, 0.17, 0.08, 0.08
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]