NFS and Samba

Ron Herardian rherardi at gssnet.com
Sun Feb 15 01:20:20 UTC 2004

If you share under Samba a directory that is an NFS mount to another machine it's possible that file and record locking will not work properly, i.e., if there is contention for access to the same files/records resulting from different services (smb, nfs, and perhaps local I/O on the same files). If you are planning to share files such that multiple users will write concurrently to the same files then I'd suggest testing file and record locking creating contention between smb and nfs clients.

Ron