Powerful and Stable PC Configuration for Linux (Fedora)

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun Feb 15 14:54:45 UTC 2004

Igor Zhidkov wrote:

> By "one step down" you meant 333 Mhz memory instead of 400 Mhz, isn't it ?
> Please correct me if I'm wrong: I thought that memory that support for
> example 400 Mhz is more robust, as 333 because if to overclock this
> 333Mhz memory to 400 Mhz it will produce errors because of overheating
> for example.
>
> Is not a good solution to buy 400 Mhz memory and to use it at 333 Mhz
> - won't it be more stable than original 333 Mhz memory ?
>
> The pitfall is that most new motherboards has a feature in BIOS which
> adjusts bus speed and memory timings itself and I do not know whether
> I'll be allowed to change manually the bus speed for example.

I'd go with good quality 400mhz memory sticks... And two or four of
them. This way, you'll achieve the best performance of the computer. If
you decide to buy 400mhz memory but want to use it as 333mhz , you
always can override the default bios setings (all current bios have the
option to read the specs of the ram's spd chip , but you can set them
manually...)

Pedro Macedo