Asus A7V8X Motherboard Onboard Graphics

Benno Goedhart benno at truesurfer.net
Sun Feb 15 18:08:13 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 01:57 2/7/2004, you wrote:
>
>>               My experiance with onboard video and sound cards has
>> been pretty negative. I run
>> a 64mb nvidia gforce2 mx that I got a couple of years ago for around
>> $30(US), and it works great with linux. I think you could probabally
>> find a gforce3 or 4  for about that now. Flightgear  puts a good load
>> on my g2 so it may be time for me to upgrade :-).
>

> So how much you want for the card? :-) I might bite.

Still no solution? We've ordered three systems with this motherboard,
and I sure would like to have the onboard graphics working.

I  know the VESA driver does the job, but I can't use 85Hz at 1600x1200
with this card, it can do, however, 85Hz at 1280x1024. But I don't want
to use that on my 21" CRT.

On VIA's site there are drivers for Red Hat 8 en 9, and Mandrake, but
not for Fedora. There has to be a way to use this graphics chipset. I
have heard it is some kind of S3 Savage chipset.