Apache Died

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Feb 15 18:21:01 UTC 2004

Am So, den 15.02.2004 schrieb Jwp um 07:11:
> Back again.

> So I installed FC1 about a month ago, the first thing I did was set up the
> apache server. No problem has been running fine ever since.  Now today I
> tried to add a virtual host.  Using the Webmin tool.

> Well that never really worked.  So I removed said virtual host and restarted
> Apache now here is where the problem begins.
>
> Upon restart of Apache I received the following error:

> "httpd failed. The error was: Starting httpd: (99)Cannot assign requested
> address: make_sock: could not bind to address 24.44.190.85:80

24.44.190.85 resolves as ool-182cbe55.dyn.optonline.net and not to
b-dub.org.

> No listening sockets available, shutting down
>
> Unable to open logs

> [FAILED]"

> Now the funny thing is that I run apache on port 9000  and it is set up to:
>
> Listen 9000

> ServerName b-dub.org

See above.

> I did change my DNS entry to forward requests for b-dub.org to
> ww2.b-dub.org:9000 would this be the problem? Should I change the server
> name entry?  Also I removed the httpd.conf that I have been using for the
> past month, dropped the httpd.conf.orig into its place and changed it to
> match my original setup as I though that maybe Webmin screwed up my conf
> file.

What do you mean with "change my DNS ... for b-dub.org to
ww2.b-dub.org:9000"? First, you can not define ports in DNS zones,
second, I do not see any ww2 A PTR entry in your DNS.

> Thanks for you time,
>
> JP

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2166.nptl
Sirendipity 15:49:34 up 19:28, 7 users, 1.39, 1.24, 1.09
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]