Raid 1

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Feb 16 11:12:54 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 16.02.2004 schrieb Sam Barnett-Cormack um 12:08:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
> > Am Mo, den 16.02.2004 schrieb kaze um 04:57:
> > > I might be totally wrong, but if you set up the RAID as hardware RAID, from
> > > the OS's point of view there is only one hard drive - so there is _no_ OS /
> > > software stuff to do.
> >
> > You are wrong, in the case you are speaking of those "fake" RAID
> > adapters like the Belkin IDE the OP asked about or the low budget
> > Promise or HighPoint controllers. they are just BIOS supported pure
> > software (with special, often closed source driver) controllers.
> > Speaking of IDE RAID controllers only the 3ware controllers are real
> > hardware RAID controllers. They have an own logic chip doing the job.
>
> Actually, a lot of these cheap IDE RAID controllers really do do
> something, and don't require any drivers. They do require a braindead OS
> which trusts the BIOS completely. Of course, they generally do only do
> RIAD0 and or RAID1, which are very light on the computation.

Hi!

Do you have specific examples about controllers (chips) working as
RAID0/1 without any additional driver and on which OS? At least you are
not speaking about Linux, aren't you?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2166.nptl
Sirendipity 12:11:10 up 1 day, 15:50, load average: 0.17, 0.21, 0.18
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]