How to install J2SE on Core 1?

Tom Scott telecomtom at vedatel.com
Mon Feb 16 15:16:54 UTC 2004

Jacques Escape wrote:

>Howzit people!
>
>I'm having some difficulty installing Java 2 SDK 1.4.1 for Linux onto a Fedora Core 1 SERVER configuration. Sun has the following to say:
>"If you use RedHat Linux 7 Server, you must manually install compat-libstdc++-6.21-2.9.0.0.i386.rpm to prevent "error while loading shared libraries" when using the Java HotSpot VMs. This file is located in the /RedHat/RPMS directory on the RedHat Linux 7 CD-ROM. You may also obtain a copy of this file from rpmfind.net. "
>
>1. How do I know whether I have the required package on my system?
>2. Where can I download this package? I can't seem to find it on one of the FC1 CD's and also not on http://rpmfind.net.
>3. Must I install this package? Or some other one/s, since I'm not actually running RHL7 Server?
>
>Has anyone else around here installed J2SE on a FC1 Server? What did you do to get J2SE to work, and resolve this issue??

That's an interesting question. I installed the j2sdk-netbeans cobundle
on RH9 and
FC1 without any problems that I can remember. Have you tried the
cobundle? You
can get the installation instructions at:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/install_j2se142-nb351_linux.html

Are you trying to install on FC1? It looks like you're talking about RH7
in your
message: "If you use RedHat Linux 7 Server" What is RedHat Linux 7 Server?
Is this maybe an old message that you wouldn't have to worry about if
you used
the current j2se/j2sdk or the j2sdk-netbeans cobundle?

-- TT