Computer Hangs / Locks Up

T.M. Gorgas taythebay at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 17:06:39 UTC 2004

Hello -

I have been using every RH Linux release since 7.0 and
loving it. I have had few problems with any of the
releases I have used. I had been running RH 9.0,
without problems, and then decided to upgrade to
Fedora Core 1. I immediately encountered two problems.

1) The entire system locks up after I select "logout"
from the menu. No combination on key strokes will
unfreeze the computer a hard re-boot is required.

2) The entire system locks up when I try to use
Mozilla, the default version that comes with the Core
1 release. Konquerer will not produce this problem. No
combination on key strokes will unfreeze the computer
a hard re-boot is required.

Thinking the problem was hardware related to the
Fedora Core 1 release I reinstalled RH 9.0 and the
problem is now there as well. I am running a generic
homemade system with components, other than than the
CD-ROM, being at least 4 years old. I am at a loss for
where to go next.

I have searched the Fedora mailing lists and other
Linux sites, via Google, for insight on how to
eliminate this problem. I have not found it addressed
anywhere. Any help I can get in finding a solution is
greatly appreciated. If error logs are required to
help pinpoint the problem please let me know what logs
are needed and I will post them.

I look forward to the Linux community's help.

Best regards - Chris