xinetd preventing proftpd from starting

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Mon Feb 16 19:11:27 UTC 2004

Hello Nate,

> xinetd appears to be bound to tcp port 21 preventing my ftp server from
> starting

> Do I need to alter run-levels and force xinetd to start after proftpd.
> Do I need to alter sgi_fam or xinetd configuration.

fam is the file access monitor. No need to touch that. I suspect some
ftpd is running from xinetd, even if you say it's not. Check all files
that come up when doing a

find /etc/xinetd.d -name "*ftp*"

and see if any of these services is enabled. You will probably also have
to tell proftpd to run as a standalone service (/etc/proftpd.conf?).

Leonard.