System Hangs at startup

Tom Surber tsurber at cox.net
Mon Feb 16 19:55:32 UTC 2004

Hi,
I hav som questions
Yesterday I lost access to my DNS server, due to a bad cable. During the
investigation of the problem I re-booted.

The process hangs from the time it does not detect the DNS server?
There was an active mixed (Win, MAC, Linux 9 & FC1) local network
working OK, no internal network services active.

Noted was:
Hung for approx 60 sec on eth0;
Hung for approx 60 - 80 sec system logger;
hung for approx 60 sec on NTP  clock.redhat.com;
hung for approx 60 sec on time server start;
hung for approx 60 sec on iptables  (open port 123)

and so on.

Question is once the lack of conectivity is discovered why have the long
waits ...

and why was the system so slow when it finally came up..  over all about
10 min??

and the system logger is a service that doesnt require the network so
why did this bog down also?

Tom