Asus A7V8X Motherboard Onboard Graphics

Martin Halford martin.halford at virgin.net
Mon Feb 16 20:49:05 UTC 2004

Benno Goedhart wrote:

> Still no solution? We've ordered three systems with this motherboard,
> and I sure would like to have the onboard graphics working.
>
> I  know the VESA driver does the job, but I can't use 85Hz at 1600x1200
> with this card, it can do, however, 85Hz at 1280x1024. But I don't want
> to use that on my 21" CRT.
>
> On VIA's site there are drivers for Red Hat 8 en 9, and Mandrake, but
> not for Fedora. There has to be a way to use this graphics chipset. I
> have heard it is some kind of S3 Savage chipset.

Martin Ewing came up with a couple of suggestions.  The first was a link
to Alan Cox's site http://people.redhat.com/alan/ where there are files
you can place in

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/via_dri.so
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/via_drv.o

You then hand edit /etc/X11/XF86Config to specify "via" as the driver
instead of "vesa".

I have to say that this did not seem to work for me?

The second suggestion was to install the latest update to 2.4.22 Release
      1.2166.nptl.  Again, this does not seem to have worked for me, but
not being an 'expert' there may be something I've done wrong or not done?

Let me know if you manage to solve?

Martin