Importing Favorites from windows to Mozilla/Firefox

Youssef Makki bugzilla at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 17 04:36:39 UTC 2004

It's more convenient for sure if they get imported. Basically all I need
is some bash (or probably perl) guru and a few commands, should be all
set. The way I did it on my machine is simple; I booted windows, ran
Mozilla, and behold my 'Imported IE Favourites'. I then stole the
bookmarks.html it generated and imported it into Firebird, problem
solved. However in this situation, a script (for bootup) is my best bet,
and I'm probably half-way through making one, check:

#!/bin/bash

## This part removes spaces from filenames

IFS=$'\n'
i=0
n=`ls | wc -l | sed 's/ //g'`
A=(`ls`)
B=(`ls | sed 's/ /_/g'`)
while [ $i -lt $n ]
do
z=`echo "${A[$i]}" | grep " "`
G=$?
if [ $G -eq 0 ]; then
mv "${A[$i]}" "${B[$i]}"
fi
let i=i+1
done

## This part converts uppercase file names to lowercase
for FILE in *; do mv ${FILE} `echo ${FILE} | awk '{ print tolower
($0);}'`;
done
## This part cats url files, greps URL=, dumps into ~/favorites.txt
find *.url -exec grep 'URL=' '{}' \; | grep -v '[[:alpha:]]URL=' >>
~/favorites.txt

By the way, if someone could advise on making the uppercase/lowercase
conversion 'silent' (no errors if file is already lowercase), let me
know.

Any further hints/tips greatly appreciated!