Low ram - 32mb

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Tue Feb 17 05:59:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 03:41, Colin Charles wrote:
> Today, a Celeron 500MHz box, with 32MB of RAM popped up in front of me.
> I popped FC1 in, and anaconda just borked. It got to the CD test stage,
> skipped that, and the installation terminates.

The installer skipped the test or you did?  Seems like it would be
desirable to at least test the first CD to make sure the drive and RAM
are good.

> But in the archives, some have reported this working. Is there anything
> definite?

I just installed on a Pentium 133 laptop with 40 MB RAM.  It installed
using text mode anaconda.  It "randomly" froze a few times during the
first few steps requiring a reset.  It seemed to freeze any time I moved
the mouse but I'm not entirely sure that's the cause.

So far this is the lowest amount of RAM I've used during installation.
I have a P90 laptop with 48 MB RAM that works fairly well but I
installed that system on an Athlon.

For slow/low-memory systems I'll usually install with the hard disk in
another machine then swap the disk the back to the intended hardware
before the first boot.  (You have to mind the arch since an i686/Athlon
kernel on i586 doesn't work.)

If you're going to run X on the system then disable/remove all services
you can't live without: sendmail, etc.  X hogs all of the 40 MB RAM.
With 64 MB its more reasonable but this laptop appears to only support
40 MB.  So, I'm trying to rebuild the XFree86 RPM with kdrive support on
a faster machine.  (Argh, I'm running into "No rule to make target
`../../../exports/bin/ucs2any', needed by `4x6-ISO8859-1.bdf'.")

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/