Hang upon boot

a at jenisch.at a at jenisch.at
Tue Feb 17 10:13:31 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm having a serious problem wrt FC1 on my machine:

The machine completely hangs on every boot!

In particular: During bootup the machine obviously tries to switch to
graphics mode which isn't configured (see below - text
installation). When switching back to the console with <ctrl><alt><F1>
I see the machine stating up further up to the point when it writes

"Enabling swap space    [OK]"

to the console.

>From that moment on the box is more less dead: Console doesn't respond

I can get in via ssh however, so I tried the following

telinit 3 -> the box continues to boot giving me a login prompt on the
console.

Next I tried "redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig" in order to build a
working X-config.

The config-program writes "Card Intel 865" to the console, then the
screen becomes blank, the monitor writes "Video mode not supported"
(seems like it's running out of specs)

I assumed this has something to do with X-settings not working so I
tried cycling through possible resolutions by pressing
<alt>-<ctrl>-<+> and <-> (the normal way of cycling through different
settings under X), but that didn't work either.

Here's what I've got in terms of hardware:
Compaq d530 SFF
40GB Harddisk
Intel 865 chipset with embedded graphics-ctrl
Broadcom GE LAN-connection
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 192N (LCD 1280x1024)

My questions:

o) has anybody seen this before?

o) Is there anything that can be done against this problem, i.e. to
get a working X-configuration? (after all an Intel 865 chipset isn't
something that uncommon these days)

o) Any way to track this down further?

Thanks much in advance for your help,
-ewald