Non-English lanquage display imperfection

John Li johnli at ahlt.net
Tue Feb 17 20:45:52 UTC 2004

> In FC1, when I started to switch to Chinese Taiwan language, by
selecting
> System Setting->Language, a language pop up displaying Chinse Hong
Kong,
> Simplified Chinse and Chinse traditional (Taiwan) for selection;
>
> In this language selection pop up, in Chinse tradition (Taiwan), one
of the
> Chinese character is much small than the rest, looked so shrunk.
> I finished making language selection, logged out, and then logged into

> X window again, seclected  Chinse characters came into place all over
the
> menu instead of English.  However, all Chinese characters are looked
just
> like being captured by a camera out of precise focus - edge not sharp,

> contrast is very poor (at lease to me), more like a color picture had
been
> exposed under the sun for long time.
> How can I improve this?
> Also, can anyone direct me to find a source that can enable me to
import
> the M$ Chinse ttf fonts into FC1, I tried the FC archive but can't
find one.

The Chinese fonts aren't very good.  It makes me wonder what distros
that support Chinese, such as Red Flag and Turbo Linux, do.  Generally,
I haven't got a lot of response to Chinese-related issues here; it would
be nice if Red Hat had a list devoted to that or international issues.
The
previous i18n list was just for translators of documentation, and it
closed
down in part because they didn't like posts like this.

Right now, the Red Hat Server is down so I can't find the web
address of previous emails I submitted.  Search for those
titled:
RE: RH9-Fedora upgrade problem: Chinese, i18n fonts
Adding Chinese TrueType font

Also, these web sites have some helpful, but slightly dated info:
http://www.biostat.umn.edu/~nali/computing/LinuxAndChinese.html
http://study.mesky.net/infoview/Article_970.html
http://www.linux-consulting.com/CJK/

John

PS  Please use plain text emails, not HTML.