Is rhnsd necessary if we're using yum for updates?

David Keen keend at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 17 21:18:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 14:24, Clint Harshaw wrote:
> I'm trying to shut off any services that aren't necessary, so I'm
> wondering if rhnsd is necessary if I'm using yum to carry out updates
> via mirrors.
>
> (I tried the archive, but apparently it's down:
> redhat.com is temporarily unavailable. Please try back later.
> If you wish to place an order for Red Hat products, please call
> 1-888-REDHAT1.)
>
> The description leads me to believe that since I'm not checking in with
> RHN, it's unnecessary:
>
> "This is a daemon which handles the task of connecting periodically to
> the Red Hat Network servers to check for updates, notifications and
> perform system monitoring tasks according to the service level that this
> server is subscribed for"
>
> So what do you all think? Is it okay to shut off rhnsd in Services?
>
> Thanks,
> Clint

After upgrading from RH9, I was receiving regular errors in my logs
about there not being an appropriate channel in RHN (sorry I can't
remember the exact error messages as this was quite a while ago).

After stopping rhnsd, these errors disappeared.  (I use up2date, rather
than yum, btw).

Cheers
--
David Keen <keend at btinternet.com>