SpeedTouch and Kernel modules in FC1

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 17 23:52:54 UTC 2004

Ossama Khayat wrote:
> Hi,
> I got a linux driver for SpeedTouch USB DSL modem, to
> use it with Fedora Core 1.
> link: http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net/
>
> When I try to compile it, as the INSTALL file says, i
> get this error:
>
> [root at ossama speedtouch-1.6]# make
> make -C /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2166.nptl/build
> SUBDIRS=/root/speedtouch-1.6 modules
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl'
>
> The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
> Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
> Then build a kernel with module support enabled.
>
> So, what's the problem? Why can't one use the modules?

I think you need to:

	# cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
	# make mrproper
	# cp /boot/config-kernelversion .config   (yes, ".config")
	# make oldconfig;make oldconfig

THEN go to the speedtouch directory and "make".  You have the kernel
source, but you don't have it configured for your installation.  The
first four lines above will do that for you.
-        Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.       -