Fedora and a Radeon Mobility 7500

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Wed Feb 18 01:36:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, James Drabb wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 10:50, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> > and it actually works with apm which I find mandatory on a laptop, unlike
> > the propetary ati or nvidia drivers which will not survive a suspend.
>
> I am actually unable to get the back-light on my laptop to turn off
> under FC1 when the screen blanks.  Suspend also doesn't work, I tried it
> once on my Vpr Matrix and the laptop would not wake up.  It also would
> not shutdown.  I held down the power button for a good three minutes,
> unplugged it, though nothing worked except removing the battery and
> unplugging it.  I won't be trying to suspend this laptop for a while : )

sounds like your laptop has very little apm support... that's  fairly
common on some varities of newer laptop as apm is slowly being excised in
favor of acpi... it means if you want to suspnd you need to do so using
swsusp instead of apm and requires a kernel patch but it does work... my
sony vaio u3 with a radeon mobility m7 requires this... My dell inspiron
4150 also with a radeon mobility m7 does not and works fine with apm.
suspending on the dell doesn't clobber opengl apps but does cause issues
with xvideo so suspending in the middle of a dvd movie in vlc requires
stoping the vido playback and restarting once the machine comes back.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu